School District Resources
Links and Downloads
Database of Public Sector Collective Bargaining Agreements in NH
All public sector parties to a collective bargaining agreement must file a copy of the agreement with the Public Employee Labor Relations Board within 14 days after the execution of the agreement (RSA 273-A:16). Here is a link to the database of these filings…
Questions for Candidates
School Board Candidates:
- Do you consider the school board to be the supervisor of the superintendent, or do you feel both are part of a governance team?
- Do you believe the school board should speak with a unified voice?
- Do you believe differences of opinion on the school board adversely affects education?
- Would you sign a code of ethics requiring you to support majority decisions of the board?
- Do you believe that school board members should have a right to visit schools during operational hours and speak to teachers and employees freely?
- Do you believe that the school board has a responsibility to oversee expenditures?
- How do you feel about this statement especially as it applies to curriculum and spending decisions:
- The superintendent is the expert.
- He hires other experts.
- Our job is not to second guess them but to support them.
School Budget Committee Candidates:
- How do you feel about budgets continuing to go up while enrollment declines?
- How would you weigh district demands for money vs. taxpayer demands for frugality?
- Have you watched or attended any budget committee meetings in the past?
- Do you believe the budget committee has the responsibility of examining expenditures?
- Would you require the revenue budget before approving the proposed budget?
- Have you ever been the lone vote on a board or committee?
- Do you know the current school district budget? The current enrollment?
Policy Code: AC
This policy is provided to remind school board members that any policy created cannot protect only one class of people.
Policy Code: BCB
Conflict of Interest
This policy binds both school board members and superintendents and prohibits the (new) hiring of relatives of school district elected officials or the superintendent. Officials who were elected subsequent to the district employment of their relative should recuse themselves from discussions and votes on a nomination or issue for which they would have a conflict.
Policy Code: DA-A
Preparation of Default Budget
This policy gives detailed guidance to school boards for constructing the default budget (for SB2 districts). It includes guidance on the definition of one-time expenditures, legal/contractual obligations, special education, reduction in the proposed operating budget, and the requirement for supporting documentation. This policy was written to reflect changes to the default budget law in 2018 for which the SAGA was instrumental.
Policy Code: EH
Data Management (Public Use of School Records)
This policy sets school board expectations for both the administration and the board in dealing with Right to Know requests. It states that “RSA 91-A defines the basic legal obligation for providing public information, but it is not the policy of this district to use RSA 91-A as a shield against public requests for information.” This policy sets out numerous provisions for prompt response, appeal by the public to the board after information denials, and the requirement that Right to Know litigation be approved by the board before significant public funds are expended on them.
Policy Code: GBCD
Criminal Records Check
This policy was prepared at the request of the NH Department of Education to reflect changes to legislation in 2017. This policy is to apply to all persons considered for employment with the district, as a student teacher or educational intern, as well as “Designated Volunteers.”
Policy Codes: IHCD-A and IHCD-B
Dual and Concurrent Enrollment
This policy was prepared at the request of the NH Department of Education to clarify dual and concurrent enrollment opportunities between high schools and community colleges and the responsibilities of school districts and their personnel in these programs.