School District Resources
Links and Downloads
Database of Public Sector Collective Bargaining Agreements in NH
All public sector parties to a collective bargaining agreement must file a copy of the agreement with the Public Employee Labor Relations Board within 14 days after the execution of the agreement (RSA 273-A:16). Here is a link to the database of these filings…
Questions for Candidates
School Board Candidates:
- Do you consider the school board to be the supervisor of the superintendent, or do you feel both are part of a governance team?
- Do you believe the school board should speak with a unified voice?
- Do you believe differences of opinion on the school board adversely affects education?
- Would you sign a code of ethics requiring you to support majority decisions of the board?
- Do you believe that school board members should have a right to visit schools during operational hours and speak to teachers and employees freely?
- Do you believe that the school board has a responsibility to oversee expenditures?
- How do you feel about this statement especially as it applies to curriculum and spending decisions:
- The superintendent is the expert.
- He hires other experts.
- Our job is not to second guess them but to support them.
School Budget Committee Candidates:
- How do you feel about budgets continuing to go up while enrollment declines?
- How would you weigh district demands for money vs. taxpayer demands for frugality?
- Have you watched or attended any budget committee meetings in the past?
- Do you believe the budget committee has the responsibility of examining expenditures?
- Would you require the revenue budget before approving the proposed budget?
- Have you ever been the lone vote on a board or committee?
- Do you know the current school district budget? The current enrollment?
Public Records Request Template
[Name of Custodian of Records]
[Public Agency Name]
[City, State Zip Code]
RE: Right to Know Request per RSA-91A
Dear [Custodian of Records]:
Pursuant to the Right to Know Law (RSA. 91-A), I am requesting public access, within 5 business days, to the governmental records reasonably described as follows:
1. [ Describe the records sought with enough detail for the public agency to respond. ] for the period from MM/DD/YYYY to MM/DD/YYYY.
Be as specific as possible while not excluding records you may want. Try to limit the date to a manageable period. If you want emails on a certain topic you must state the topic and the date range of interest and the persons from or to whom these emails were sent. If you want documents, you must describe these documents specifically, such as invoices associated with a named lawsuit, or a construction project, etc. Public bodies are not required to answer questions so all Right to Know requests must be made as a request for existing documentation, even if that documentation is in electronic form only.
2. Invite the public agency to call you for further clarification if your request is burdensome for them.
Per RSA 91-A:4 IV(c) If you deny any portion of this request, please cite the specific exemption used to justify the denial to make each record, or part thereof, available for inspection along with a brief explanation of how the exemption applies to the information withheld.
Please let me know when these records are available for inspection or you may email the records to me at [ EmailAddress ]. Should you wish for copies of documents, it is highly recommended that you first inspect what is given to you before requesting copies. Typical copy charges are 50 cents a page.
Thank you for your lawful attention to this matter.
[Street Address & Mailing Address, if different]
[City, ST ZIP Code]
Per RSA 91-A, governmental records means “any information created, accepted, or obtained by, or on behalf of, any public body, or a quorum or majority thereof, or any public agency in furtherance of its official function. Without limiting the foregoing, the term “governmental records” includes any written communication or other information, whether in paper, electronic, or other physical form, received by a quorum or majority of a public body in furtherance of its official function, whether at a meeting or outside a meeting of the body. The term “governmental records” shall also include the term “public records.””
The Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment
The Protection of Pupil Rights amendment (20 USC section 1232h) provides parents with considerable rights to access the curriculum materials used in the schools. America First Legal Foundation has created a step-by-step toolkit for parents to exercise those legal rights.